View Single Post
Old 2004-10-29, 09:44   Link #15
Akirasuto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiraph
The simplified Chinese only came into existence in 1949 as the Chinese Government simplified some Chinese characters in the hope of reducing the illiteracy within China. Personally though, I'd say simplified Chinese looks less pleasing from an aesthetic point of view.

I also happen to like traditional writing more than simplified, perhaps as a result of learning the former at a young age.
That is perfectly understandable and reasonable. After all, you're looking at the aesthetic angle in your personal view.

Quote:
The converse is true for my case, I'm able to read simplified without much trouble because I'm familiar with the traditional.
Good for you, that's a sign that the system is working

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
Hmm...I think the thousands of years of Chinese character development has resulted in traditional Chinese, and then the Chinese government developed the simplified based on the traditional. Of course some of them already existed before the simpification, but I think we should let them slowly become accepted as proper writing instead of making them official all of a sudden. That's how languages evolve right? A drastic change of a language will only cause confusion.
It would be a mess if it was not enforced and adapt a laissez-faire style. A standardised system-wide implementation actually speeds up the process of adoption -- evolution.

Quote:
Besides, traditional Chinese just looks better, especially in Chinese calligraphy.
Aesthetic with respect to the physical look is hardly a good reason to write off a working language system. If you want that, feel free to write in calligraphy to communicate. Why not go a bit further and dig up those linguistic books and see how it is really written, say, 1000 years ago? I can guarantee those will sufficiently enough to entice your tastes for artistic values
Akirasuto. is offline   Reply With Quote