Thread: Headphones..
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-19, 20:36   Link #27
Z3120

I consider being an audio enthusiast a small hobby of mine now. It started with replacing the decade old family PC speakers with the Swan M10, and I became a believer ever since. Loved the soundstage and how much string instruments glistened. Then, a few years later, I got the Swan D1080MKII08.

Eventually, I decided to replace the stock earphones on my Sansa Fuze during that time, got the Senn CX-300, and loved the newfound bass because the Swans don't have much of it honestly. But then, I also finally committed to my first soundcard, the Asus Essence STX, many months later; and well, I was pretty surprised at how much of an improvement that upgrade was because funnily, I was progressively getting bored of my Senn CX-300 unknowingly then. I only realized this when I felt like I needed to upgrade from my Senn CX-300, but I never had any suspicions why. But when I did purchase the Etymotic MC5, everything felt self-explanatory once I listened to them. They replicated the sort of sound I cherished from my speaker setup that I apparently missed or desired every time I rode the bus to and fro school with my Fuze.

As of now, I don't think I'll bother with a portable amp. I prefer my speaker setup over headphones and earphones because I enjoy my orchestral music and the soundstage my speakers provide that my phones can't. The reason why I bothered to look into getting a headphone in the first place was because it could accompany my speaker setup during the nights when I had to lower the volume. I love listening to my music that much more. I plan to buy the Swan M200MKIII sometime in the future, and my current headphones exclusively for home use are the Beyerdynamics DT 990 (250 ohms). Before, my first headphones were the Senn HD 555 briefly when Electronic Expo had that super deal on them, but I gave them away to a family member when he thought about getting a pair for nighttime use too.

The hobby is becoming expensive but I do enjoy it because I still see benefits. And since I'm a believer, I've been convincing and influencing my friends' audio-related purchases if I'm aware of them.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote