View Single Post
Old 2011-04-22, 11:03   Link #305
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Partially, I have to agree. If she would have done this much, much earlier, I would have liked her more. As it stands, she forever has a taint because of how quickly she decided to go cold and go it alone without any real reason. If she had only done this sooner, and thus given Madoka the information she needs, then Madoka could have made the wish earlier.

But yes, she does redeem herself a bit in my eyes for this, and I can't help but love her fight in 11.
I don't think Homura intentionally poured her heart out to Madoka. It was more like she spilled it all.

When Kyubey essentially stated that Madoka's continued misfortune and power was caused by Homura's efforts, Homura was visibly disturbed. I think Kyubey is the one who really made Homura believe this was her last shot.

Also, I don't believe Madoka could have made such a grand wish any sooner. Everything in the series was building up to this point. Mami's heroism, Sayaka's tragedy build on good intentions, Kyoko's sacrifice, Homura's endless struggle, and Kyubey's role as a necessary evil were all necessary to Madoka's rise.
Mami, Kyoko, and Kyubey are all important factors to Madoka's belief that Puella Magi are still necessary. Mami showed the basic ideals of heroism by protecting ones without power, like Sayaka and Madoka used to be. Kyoko provided an example of self-sacrifice important to the Christ-like figure archetype. Kyubey showed how essential Puella Magi and wishes are by showing Madoka how closely the system is tied to human history. If it were not for Kyubey, Madoka would not have understood that this was a problem beyond the city she lives in and would not have transcended space and time.
Sayaka's tragic ending and Homura's endless tragedy allow Madoka to see that while magical girls are needed, the system is flawed and needs to be fixed. Sayaka was the example that Madoka needed to learn about magical girls transforming into Witches, and good intentions backfiring. Homura's hopeless situation and countless number of attempts through time along with Kyubey's history lesson provide Madoka with the understanding that the system is not only flawed today but flawed in every day.

Every character was needed to develop Madoka into transcendent, self-sacrificial figure that values the ideals of heroism but also understands the tragedy that can arise from such ideals.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote