View Single Post
Old 2011-04-24, 21:09   Link #936
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Normally an episode like this wouldn't really earn that many complaints form me, but the problem is that this show has set up themes and tones quite different from what we're experiencing in not only just last week's fail of an episode, but also this weeks. It also has quite a high standard of storytelling to live up to after what has been seen in the first two episode.

Episode 2 ended on a nice dramatic note before finally the show drove the train off the fucknig railroad in episode 3 with an extremely abrupt change in pace and tone. Episode 4 while not quite as drastic of a change as episode 3, has more or less been affected by some of the lingering affects of that last episode.

I say this because the show has set up all these points of drama, whether it be Ohana and her grandmother, Ohana and Kou, Ohana and Minko, Ohana vs workplace, Ohana vs growing up. Meanwhile we're suddenly thrown from light hearted situation to light hearted situation, while glossing over these dramatic points... The tonal shift serves to basically make us completely dismissive of whatever drama they're presenting. Really, I just wasn't able to care about the fail writer or the little unrequited love of our ice princess Minko.

If you can't really care about the characters in these situations because the atmosphere of the drama disconnects you from it, the impact and magic of it is all gone. Episodes 1 and 2 were quite amazing, but the show's persistence in trying to lighten the mood so much is going to have dire consequences on the road.

Again, normally this episode would probably earn a 7/10 for me, but because of the context and failure to move the story in a good direction, I'll have to rate it a 5/10. It was not good, and I really don't appreciate the direction this story is taking.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote