View Single Post
Old 2011-05-04, 01:03   Link #20
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Look at all of the flaws you've pointed out that I have commented on. They're not insignificant, in my opinion. They do detract considerably from the overall effectiveness of certain parts of this anime.

In the post-Nanoha era, action scenes do matter in magical girl anime, in my opinion. Action scenes with visually unimpressive enemies to be defeated, and/or action scenes that are very short and unsatisfying, are not good. They're significant flaws, in my opinion.

And in an anime that's so rooted in its characters and their actions and choices, it can hinder a scene's effectiveness a great deal if those actions or choices make little sense. Again, not an insignificant flaw, imo.

These flaws are not totally overwhelming, though. I was still able to very comfortably give this anime a 9/10, and I think it deserves that.

But the flaws are numerous, significant, and varied enough that I am a bit surprised at all the 10/10s this anime is getting.

I fear that in time this anime may be viewed by many as overrated, which I think would be a shame, as that could cloud how this anime is, as you say, a rare gem.

But rare gems with creators that specifically ask their viewers to hold them to high standards should be held to exactly that, in my opinion.
Well, personally there's very little difference to me from a 9 and a 10, they're basically an A and A+, and frequently most people consider an A+ to be redundant.

I think an anime can be regarded as a masterpiece even if it does have severe flaws, and there pretty much is no work that would be considered a masterpiece by everyone.

Take Neon Genesis Evangelion; it may have numerous flaws including rushed pacing post episode 20, that ending, and a suffering of animation quality near the end. But many would regard it as a masterpiece, even if I personally didn't 10-rate the main series. I may not be able to get over the flaws in that, but other people can.

I mean, the point of this medium is to entertain, and for those people which a show managed to entertain and reach out too more so than other shows, then that would rate a 10 right? Because from their subjective point of view, that show has the most value.

I wouldn't worry about this anime being overrated, because it already is. And every other popular show there has been and will be. It's really up to the viewers to screen out the hype and form their own opinion, as hard is it is.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote