View Single Post
Old 2011-06-01, 15:21   Link #1805
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplipswich View Post
Moe doesn't have to be equivalent to playful and sexual etc. Kanade is because of the last episode which showed her true genuineness of moe. Kanade's more of the "adorable pet" type
I'm aware that playful or sexy aren't necesarily moe. The measure of moe is something like "Does this make me feel warm and fuzzy, like my brain just simultaneously melted and short circuited? To what extent does it make me feel that way?" I just find that "playful and teasing, but sweet" is one of the best ways to evoke that feeling.

All three characters under discussion here are petite and soft spoken, which I like. Kanade just feels blander than the other two and lacks their "makes me melt" factor. I love the last episode of Angel Beats, but more for its overall emotional impact than Kanade's moe. Whereas the scene of Charlotte asking Ichika to feed her because she's so bad with chopsticks does make me melt. As does Renai Circulation and Nadeko's attempts to tempt Araragi (because they really make me feel just how badly she wants him to fall for her.).

Quote:
And you know, shy and quiet girls are the new hip-and-coming.
If true, this apparently doesn't extend to characters from previous years because Kotomi Ichinose - my favourite shy girl and one of my favourite anime girls ever - didn't manage to make through prelims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mean, I know for a fact that a fair number of girls in SaiMoe attract anti-votes, but I don't know anybody who is voting against Kanade, even with her being as popular as she is. She's a character that creates either positive fan sentiment or no sentiment at all, so she gets votes but not anti-votes.
I agree this is a factor, but how many people have you meet who hate Charlotte or Nadeko? They don't strike me as the type to get anti-votes either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I would prefer Kuroneko myself; she's probably more moe than all the other Kana Hanazawa characters combined save for Mayuri and Touko, but it seems the odds are against her. >.> I'm just aiming for one of her characters to win. ;p

Besides, when were these tournaments ever about personality?
Personality is incredibly important to ability to evoke moe.

I like Kuroneko too, although she's more of an A- while Charlotte and Nadeko are A+ for me. Kanade would be a B. That said, unlike with the other three, I'm pretty sure that Kuroneko has haters. Both because I've run into them, and because she can be pretentious and abrasive (which is part of her appeal - double edged sword there).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.