View Single Post
Old 2011-06-21, 13:52   Link #2179
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
If there is anything anyone can accuse Lacus of, its overconfidence. She probably thought anyone can imitate, but never truly becomes her. That was probably her attitude towards the situation. Moreover, at the time, she saw no harm with Meer's existence, and there wasn't.
I wouldn't call it overconfidence as much as near blind faith. She continually fights for what she believes in without even the smallest fraction of doubt as to dissuade her otherwise; again, the sign of a perfect heroine.

Lacus grew up under the watch of her father, the current Chairman of the Plants at the time; so she should've been exposed to plenty in terms of the political world and its far-reaching consequences. It's not so much that she should've realized Meer's existence as a threat, but the manipulative hand of Dullindal behind it. To have such a man as the Chairman of the Plants; she should've at least sensed the danger in that alone and confronted Meer to discover the truth behind what was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Early or later didn't really make a difference. Meer was going to die one way or the other, especially since she was already too much into the whole Lacus cosplay gig. When Athrun offered to get Meer out, what happened? She refused.
There's no telling whether or not Meer was headed down a path to her death, regardless of what anyone did.

What effect Athrun had on her and what effect Lacus, the object of her obsession, would've had are two completely different things. It was in their final confrontation with one another that we saw the difference that their words had on her.

Had Lacus come and talked with Meer early on, before she had become increasingly encompassed by the role Dullindal had placed on her, I believe there should've been a very real chance that she could've come to her senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Actually, I believed that both sides would have been justified in how they handle the situation, since both sides were more focused on rallying their own population. Dully done so by using Meer as a catalyst for uniting PLANT, while Earth could have used the fact that Dully is a liar to unite their own population. This would have led to what you mentioned earlier, a far more drawn out conflict.
Well I say they would've been equally unjustified in how they manipulated their populations to rally together and fight against the other, so I suppose they break out even in the end one way or the other.

Quote:
The problem is, there wasn't much to her deep, dark secrets. There was no environment to foster those. She grew up in a privileged household, in a seemingly normal, if not slightly spoiled, family. Her only major emotional setback throughout GS was the death of her father, and by the time of GSD, I can see that part of her goal was to never allow such tragedy to be repeated to those who she held dear.

- Tak
I have to disagree. We weren't really shown much of anything about Lacus' childhood beyond the scope of a random flashback here and there.

When did she ever learn how to pilot a mobile suit, by the way, as was shown when she assisted Kira in bringing the Infinite Justice down to Earth. That on its own could've provoked a whole series of questions and depth into Lacus' past.

What about her mother? We didn't see much of anything with regards to her. That was a total waste of material that could've opened up a whole new side to Lacus that we didn't know anything about.

In GSD alone, we didn't see any refreshing new set of circumstances that would've rekindled that spark to fight for what she held dear. Perhaps during the initial assassination attempt, one of her children could've been hurt or even killed. That would've been an awesome means by which to send Kira and Lacus storming back onto the battlefield.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote