View Single Post
Old 2011-06-29, 10:16   Link #22978
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
And this happens after Ange already opened the book. If the key's purpose was to open the book at the end of Battler's story, then there wouldn't be any other purpose for this key after the fact.

But that's not what we see, because Ange actually needs the key to open the two doors and therefore that's what the key was really for.

The fact that the key also opens the book is merely a contingency. And even so it was clearly stated that even with the key Ange could have never opened the book without the Game Master's consent because it was warded off.

Are you sure it isn't you that misinterpreted the facts? Well it might be me, but in that case can you quote me the part that makes clear that Battler wanted Ange to read the book at the end rather than never allow her to read that at all?
Yah, I remember that there was this part where Ange was screaming her head off, denying what everyone was telling her. She accused Battler of wanting to actually never show her the book by tricking her with the false game. But someone tried to interject, Beatrice perhaps to try and tell her that Battler wanted her to be able to read the book but Ange wasn't having any of that.

So, in the end Ange took by force that which she was meant to have. Only Battler knew it would destroy her since she didn't get the message that he had for her first. Ange ended up doing it in reverse order. (I was pretty fine with Ange dying... I mean she was being such a whiny bitch at that point... I think Ryukishi's characertization was off here. 8) And if you think about it, it's almost like Tooya is character assassinating his own sister here.... yeesh. )

I can look up that part of the story where she's screaming her head off if you want. I really hated that part.... 8) But it comes down to if you believe Battler and everyone else was REALLY trying to trick Ange and be secret assholes or if you believe when they tried to convince Ange to calm down that they were trying to be honest.

Anyways, I do NOT remember the key being used for the door, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I also do not remember anywhere saying that the key had a dual purpose or that it's main purpose was for the door. It was said it was for a choice, of course... but the way I remember it is that it's the choice to open the book or not.

This is very clearly its primary purpose. Remember the scene where they were telling Ange that she had the book in one reality, but the key in the other reality... and she needed both to unlock the book? This is its primary purpose and that's the choice that Battler gave.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote