View Single Post
Old 2011-08-24, 17:54   Link #118
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Anything good would in all likelihood been uncovered by Otaku and in all likelihood subbed by now, like Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Good shows tend survive, and bad ones are forgotten. I think western anime fans as a whole are pretty in tune with knowing what the "greats" are. The process you speak of has already pretty much occured. 90s anime has been pretty much scoured dry, what was good was subtitled already. There wasn't even that much Anime produced in the 90s (compared to the 2000s).
xxanimefan4_ever is correct. There are a ton of great old shows that are pretty much ignored by most fans, and most of the vintage shows I was speaking of are from the '60s-'80s. This period is all but ignored by most fans, and you'll never hear about them unless you actually do research. In a way, this is a weakness of anime fandom in general, but it's also an indication of how otaku tastes have changed over the years. I would also hazard a guess that most of the shows from the '90s recommended to you don't encompass the best works of that era.