View Single Post
Old 2011-09-18, 20:26   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
The relationship of a service provider to a customer is not one way and that is another one of my problems with Sui's dogmatic idea that it is. For all her pontificating about how you must address every flight and fancy of the regulars regardless of cost, it certainly doesn't seem to be helping the inn maintain itself financially.
I don't know about that.

In real life, there's a restaurant I go to fairly regularly, maybe once every month or two. I've been going there regularly for years now, and all the workers there know who I am the moment I walk into the restaurant.

Once I go into this restaurant, my "every flight and fancy" is almost immediately catered to. If I say "I'll have the usual", they know exactly what I mean (and my usual will come with extra sour cream and salsa because they know I splurge on that ). If I'm there with a crowd, the waiter or waitress will bring out a large pitcher of Diet Pepsi even if I don't ask for one, because they know that's what everybody in my family and immediate circle of friends likes to drink during mealtimes.

I've at times considered stop going to this restaurant because it can be a bit pricey. But the level of service (and quality of food of course) keeps me coming back.

I really don't think that Sui is wrong for keeping a record of all of her regular customers, and tailoring everything to suit their distinct personalities. That sort of service is attractive to a lot of people, including myself, and it can offer a real competitive advantage. "Dogmatic idea" or not, maybe its the right idea.

Also, we don't know why, exactly, the Inn has been struggling financially. It may simply be a lot of newer, larger competitors recently opening up drawing customers away from them. If so, Sui's "special touch" might be the only thing keeping the place going at all, as in many areas, it just can't compete with the larger Inns and Hotels.

So I frankly think, based partly on real life personal experience, that you're selling some of Sui's ideas short, and possibly jumping a bit to conclusions. There's nothing necessarily wrong with sentimentality. Many people have sentimental feelings for certain things, and a wise commercial enterprise can take advantage of that.

By the way, the restaurant I somewhat regularly go to has been going strong for years, and in an area where two major restaurants recently closed due to lack of business. Again, there's something to be said for holding to an ideal approach to customer satisfaction.