Thread: Licensed Mashiro-iro Symphony
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-18, 17:56   Link #439
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I don't think this needs to be in spoiler tags at this point given that we've been openly discussing episode 7 so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post
alright so in ep 7 we know Sana joined the group just to return Shingo's handkerchief. While I enjoyed that scene a lot since I like the way Sana's good attributes are being utilized, isn't there slight inconsistency with her priority? Rather I should say did Manglobe forget to emphasize a few things?

For instance, it was clear Sana joining the group was mostly if not entirely Miu-senpai bias. Therefore, returning to the club room means that Sana truly cares about the club room and in particular tending to the care of the animals. While that makes Sana even more awesome, I found this not really emphasized in earlier examples since Manglobe gave so much more emphasis on "oh I ended up here cuz Miu-senpai went along" the scene was to poke fun on the rumor but then you realize Sana sees Uryuu very soon ... Like after school as seen later in the episode.
I think there are a few things going on here:

1. Sana does care for the Nuko Club and the animals independent from Miu as well. Notice how she was crying when they released the squirrel back to the wild (in spite of the fact that Miu was putting on a brave face), and the diligence she'd shown even when Miu isn't around. So certainly part of it that she wanted to help Miu, but helping Miu also means doing some of the work so that Miu doesn't have to do it on her own (which she's apt to do). She cares for the club itself and the animals too (and based on her crying, one might even say she cares too much, despite her claims to the contrary).

2. Sana will often use "I'm only doing this for Miu's sake" as an excuse to cover her own insecurities/embarrassment. She might as well say that tsundere classic "Don't misunderstand! I-I'm not doing this because I like you or anything!" "I'm doing it for Miu's sake" is a good cover, because it's rooted in truth anyway. But that's not the only dimension to her behaviour.

3. She could indeed have waited 'till the end of the school day to give Shingo back his handkerchief, but I think it's pretty clear that she was taking this opportunity to go out of her way to see him. Notice also how, when she runs off, she is sure to tell him where she's going (just in case he wanted to go see her...). This is why the rest of the group's reaction was what it was: whether she realizes it yet or not, Sana's falling (fallen?) in love.

So all in all, I think the portrayal here made sense, and said exactly what it needed to say about the changes developing in Sana's behaviour. And by god is it ever cute.