View Single Post
Old 2011-11-27, 01:05   Link #81
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Rider and other servants are aware that the purpose of summoning them is to win the Grail War. It is more of a duty though as they are bound by contract (command spells) with their master . Not every servant desires the Grail. In F/Z I think very few really care about the Grail itself. Saber wants it to reverse her past mistakes. Gilgamesh kinda wants it because he believes the Grail is rightfully his. Rider and Lancer are fighting for their respective masters. Caster doesn't care. We don't know about Assassin. And Berserker is not sane enough to think about it.
This is pretty accurate, I think.

I also think that at least some of the servants simply like the idea of challenging themselves against other legendary historical figures. For them, the competition is an end unto itself, entirely separate from the Holy Grail that comes from winning the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
It was made obscenely obvious. He wants to conquer the world and go back to Macedonia in triumph. It wasn't a joke.
Right. Rider's lines aren't funny because he's joking, they're funny because he means every word. It's a definite case of "It's funny because it's true". For example, when Rider compared Bill Clinton to Darius III, he wasn't joking around. He meant it, and that's why it's funny, imo.