View Single Post
Old 2011-12-10, 05:05   Link #6063
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I didn't mean it quite like that. Still it seems that a family being denied the money is punishing them for something they may have had no control or knowledge of. Either way, the guy is dead he isn't going to profit from it.
Well, that's not the insurance's fault, is it?

Insurance is supposed to protect against risk. If a guy decides to die (as opposed to, well, anything else that happens against his will), then it's not a risk anymore, and he isn't buying insurance in good faith. I suppose stuff like depression makes it a gray area, but still... I have nothing against suicide itself (as long as you've discharged all your responsibilities), but I really don't think it's the insurance's job to encourage people to commit it.

Quote:
I just don't really think that such a safety net should be so conditional (unless it's murder). Since a family may be way worse off after a death. Preventing people from taking their own lives is a different matter all together. Since someone taking their life is usually probably not going to care two wits about life insurance.
On the contrary. He may see it as the only way to provide for his family.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote