View Single Post
Old 2004-12-11, 18:41   Link #421
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Just a little warning:

Next Sunday is the International Toyota Cup, between the winner of the Champions League (FC Porto - Portugal) and the winner of the Libertadores Cup (Once Caldas - Colombia). Porto won this cup on 1987. Could they bring another one to Portugal, or will this cup head to South America?
It'll be the last year that the game is held in this format. Starting next year instead of a simple South-America vs Europe match we will get an actual tournament in which the best teams of the past season will face each other. The best teams of all six FIFA confederations that is !

This Club World Championship will have the following seven-game format :

Continental champions from all six FIFA confederations will take part in the first tournament in Tokyo from 11-18 December 2005. The tournament will consist of seven matches, with the UEFA and South American representatives each only playing two games, having a bye past the first round which will involve teams from Africa, Asia, North and Central America and Oceania. The European side will be decided by invitation, with the UEFA Champions League winners having first option but no obligation to take part.

As for some historical information : the South America - Europe game was first played in 1960, in the past editions South America has won 22 times and Europe 20 times.
In 2000 there allready was a (smaller) club world championship which was a competition between 4 teams, Real Madrid and Manchester United represented Europe at that time but the Brazilian team SC Corinthians Paulista won.

I must say the thought of an actual club worldchampionship has go me exited . I just hope I'll be able to see it ....

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-12-11 at 18:44. Reason: Hmm, mixed up FIFA and UEFA :p
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote