Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-20, 09:41   Link #625
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I haven't watched the previous version in a while but I can tell you some of my most favorite memories of the show come from moments like Gon's first encounter with Hisoka, and the second with the badge, and Killua's encounter with the prisoner who was rather in it for the killing than reducing the time he would have to serve and few more that are yet to come for this new version. I can also tell you how flat this new version falls compare to the old ones in those moments I thought made HxH special. Yes, the old one dragged a bit at the beginning, but as the show progressed through the story, it became very apparent how necessary those moments were to build up the events that were to come later. Gon's first encounter with Hisoka has no meaning without the set up episodes that took a few more than couple. Gon's second encounter with Hisoka was even more powerful because the previous encounter helped build the emotion the fans would invest on later.
Gon's relationship with Hisoka is very different in the 1999 series than it is in the manga/2011 series. I'll go into it in more detail when the time comes. But Gon's first encounter with Hisoka was definitely done better in the 2011 series, I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Like many prior HxH fans I was also excited to see this re-do of this series because I was hoping that the show would take the opportunity to tidy things up those moments that dragged a bit in the beginning in HxH. I was also excited about the prospect of seeing the new CG technology which would make the fight scenes look better. Thus far, this new version has been a big disappointment in every respect at capturing the essence of HxH storytelling which set it apart from a typical shounen series. The action scene are just as anti-climactic and low budgeted. The show did not improve the HxH at all. It's actually feel like an entirely different series at times, like an alternate retelling. Like Gooral I can't warm up to this new version of HxH at all, so I do understand what he is saying here.

I also wonder how this new version of HxH is impressing on the fans who are watching it for the first time.
The new series is reestablishing canon, since the 1999 series broke it immensely. As far as the animation/art goes, I've found all of the action scenes to be more exciting than in their 1999 version. Gon vs the Kiriko, Gon and Killua's game against Netero, Kurapika's fight against Majitani, Hisoka's fight against Togari, etc. The only one of these scenes that had better animation in the 1999 series was Gon and Killua vs Netero--even then, the 1999 series neglected to faithfully adapt Gon and Killua's fighting styles.

I think your last sentence is key--the people who are watching this for the first time are enjoying it. A lot of fans of the 1999 series aren't trying to watch the series in this manner, but comparing the two series without actually following all three back to back. This is a problem.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote