View Single Post
Old 2012-01-01, 07:09   Link #1938
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
In another word, how big and extend the Imperial Japan family is (and how much of that is within public's knowledge)? I was under the impression till now that the Imperial family is just like ordinary East Asian family, where there's only around 20 adults or kids getting together during birthday or party occasions.
By law, the Imperial Family had been restricted to the Showa Tenno's immediate family, Empress Teimei, and the families of Showa Tenno's three brothers (Prince Chichibu, Takamatsu, Mikasa). All the members of the eleven cadet branches were removed from the family. Nevertheless, connections still exist from the old relations, although given how most of the records of the branching families (especially when it comes to brides) were destroyed, it's hard to keep track of the absolule record except for the direct Imperial linage and the branch families. An indication of this is the existence of the Sumeragis.

Of course, no family in Japan has as good records as the Koreans, who tend to maintain centuries-old genealogy books. In the case of my second cousin, there are a registered membership of over 120,000 in the clan. Here's what the books look like:

And final note: I changed to Korean citizenship.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote