View Single Post
Old 2012-01-15, 05:28   Link #1281
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
I read off IGN that Origin will be required for ME3. Assuming it is true, I feel like requiring origin is bad idea. Sure it may have practical uses, but I feel as though it will resonate negatively in online communities regardless of whether the negativity is rightfully or wrongful placed. There is a lot of exaggeration most times, but nonetheless it exists.
According to gamingbolt, it's a one-time activation for singleplayer, continuous connection for multiplayer. Basically the same thing Steam does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
People in that thread I posted are worried about the 'spyware-like' qualities of Origin. A Bioware developer said "post evidence of that claim", so someone did. I'm guessing this is from the terms of agreement for Origin:

Referring to the part I bolded (Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder), some people there also pointed out that Origin, via these Windows operations that scan filenames, scans the names of filenames for files other than those found in Program Data/Origin folder. It scans filenames on other parts of your hard drive, is what people are saying.

I'd like to know, are these things true about Origin? Do I have to worry about it being intrusive to my privacy?
No. That information is old and has long since been revised. It was designed as a feature to scan the computers of their userbase to help increase the stability of Origin (a lot of software does similar things, you've probably run across some pop-up while installing asking you to share 'anonymous data' before), but with the internet backlash they dropped the feature from Origin alltogether, and removed those terms from the license agreement.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-01-15 at 06:02.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote