View Single Post
Old 2012-01-22, 18:30   Link #27238
Toku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Well, I'm not really that much into TvTropes but the Evil Overlord list and the assorted lists that it inspired are something I love madly.
I agree, I've had fun looking through that stuff. And indeed, a lot of it is stuff I wish antagonists would follow...

Quote:
The problem always rely on the objective viewpoint of the detective.
I think the thing can be read in a way that means 'the narrative MUST be honest about the detective: where he is, what he does, what he sees, what he hears, though the narrative can lie about everyone else'.

In short, to follow your example, the subjective narrative can't lie about Erika being there... because it would create a clash with Erika needing to have an objective viewpoint. However, as long as Erika can't observe what the subjective narrative proposes because... let's say it's happening behind her, you can have all the magic scenes you want.

At least this is how I interpret the 'objective viewpoint' of the detective.
Well, this isn't ever confirmed... Besides, this definition of yours applies to a specific Piece's viewpoint. And the story is being narrated from a completely different viewpoint, which we can confirm is not objective.

Quote:
Funny enough saying there was no objective viewpoint in all EP 5 can also mean that Erika was also something that was made up and that she actually was never witnessed by anyone in Rokenjima...
LOL, poor Erika, I've just denied her existence...

... and weren't there theories that assumed Erika never existed in Rokkenjima?
Someone willing to refresh my memory?
I think this theory is possible. In particular, if we follow this theory, then it could be said that there is no objective perspective for EP5. Therefore, absolutely nothing but the Red Truth can be trusted. Which makes the whole thing quite amusing.

However, I think that a few Reds can deny this. Namely,
As the detective, <Miss> Erika sealed all ENTRANCES. If Erika does not possess a body, she cannot perform such an action. Furthermore, if there is someone acting like Erika, then it follows that when they are treated as "Furudo Erika," their perspective must be objective, and it will amount to the same thing as her being there.
Toku is offline   Reply With Quote