Thread: Licensed BLACK ROCK SHOOTER TV series
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-02, 13:18   Link #353
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Black Rock Shooter Ep1

I watched it. Overall, as a big fan of the OVA I'm not very happy with how they remade the majority of the scenes so far. There's definitely potential for a more interesting story, but what they've done here is basically take the first 1/3 of the OVA and added more stuff to it, while weakening the scenes they remade. The new stuff is interesting and effectively directed, especially the scene in Yomi's house.

The problem would be the scenes which already existed in the OVA which I felt were a lot less powerful here and it seemed like they just wanted to get those scenes over with, since people had seen them before already. The scene where Mato and Yomi exchange names in ep1 is really badly presented compared to the OVA, and the supposedly "emotional" scene near the end did nothing at all for me.

The action was pretty well directed on the other hand, and there's a very interesting contrast in style between the real world and the fantasy world now. Much more so than the OVA. In the OVA, you could tell one person was directing all the scenes, so even the "action" scenes were moody and filled with the same sort of atmosphere as the real world drama scenes. That worked for the OVA, but they're clearly going for something totally different here. With Imaishi directing all the fantasy world segments, it totally feels like two shows in one.

I'll definitely be watching ep2, but I'm not that impressed with ep1, and I blame Mari Okada for it! Hopefully they'll be able to cover all the OVA story material within the first 2-3 episodes, and then move on to totally original stuff which should be more interesting for the Ordet stuff. I think the director is being lazy with regards to scenes he has to direct "again" and he isn't putting his all into it yet.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote