View Single Post
Old 2012-02-25, 16:50   Link #20
Deathscyther

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke123 View Post
Yeah, I see it similarly as well. After being rejected by Pheles consecutively, and sealed off. This was a question as to whether she would enforce either of the two oaths she was bound upon. I would say that Pheles was aware of the situation, and prevented her from making such a decision. As she knew she still carried an oath to protect them, although she also carries an oath to protect Shana. This was her way of protecting her from a self destructive path emposed on herself.

Her mask therefore cracked, her emotions led astray, and her reason to push forward crumbled. Instead of making her own decision, she forced it on her. She was confused and was wondering why, yet she understood that Pheles didn't wan't her to act, and clearly cut all their ties. This then concluded the oath she made with her, and left her empty, she then realized that she still had another reason to fight, and it was standing right in front of her. Margery then pointed out that she was in danger, and renewed her heart.

Well it's how I see it.
I agree with the reason why Wilhelmina's mask crumbled. She's always trying to help her friends, but always fails to do so in the end. She thinks that everyone makes her stop helping them and even leave her because of this. She promised herself that she'd fight for Shana, but now that Pheles once again refused her help and disappeared without even telling her anything, she hesitates as she becomes depressed because her of uselessness.

She used to have her mission to get her through these days, but now that she's not longer bound to her duty (she's fighting for her own reasons now, since the mission to protect the balance by fighting the tomogara is practically gone because the creation of Xanadu would make the mission unneeded) she doesn't know what she should do. If she can't even help the people important to her, if they don't want her help, then what should she do with her newly acquired freedom?

Good thing for her that Margery managed to snap her out of it. Even though Pheles shut her out, there's just no time to be depressed about it. She's still able to help Shana now by acting. Shana understood Wilhelmina's feelings right away after Margery told her what happened as well and just told her "Let's go, Wilhelmina" which basically means that Shana wants her help. These were the words she needed to hear from the person she wants to help no matter what. In turn, I think this shows the strong bond Shana and Wilhelmina share as well.

I actually don't think that Pheles was aware of Wilhelmina's oath to fight for Shana. There is no way she should be able to know. I think Pheles' reason for not letting Wilhelmina help her is more simple. I think that Pheles and Johan are planning something which doesn't require Wilhelmina's assistance.

Since Pheles told Wilhelmina 'I'm sorry' before she left, I think that she does know that Wilhelmina wants to help her and that she's hurting Wilhelmina by shutting her out. I do think that Pheles really sees Wilhelmina as an important person, so I guess that Pheles either doesn't want Wilhelmina to be in danger because of her or that she's going to do something which she doesn't want Wilhelmina to see. I still think that Johan won't be able to last without the Reiji Maigo, so I guess that by releasing Johan from the reiji maigo, Pheles and Johan are planning some kind of last-ditch effort to save their existences.