View Single Post
Old 2012-03-19, 18:10   Link #181
Shikijin

It seems there are people who misunderstood the real meaning behind the postscript of Nise, so here are the postscripts from the first books.

EDIT: I forgot to explain it better: in Japan you must be humble. In all the postscripts Nisio says that he wrote these books for hobby and he never meant to publish them. This is just an act. He wants to show his humility. His words are not to be taken literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake1
Sometimes I want to write normal postscripts, so let's write some commentary about the three stories compiled in this book. Because I will allude at the contents of the book, I am deeply sorry if there are people who are reading this postscript before the book itself, but I recommend to stop here and read the book first. Oh well, since I just wanted to write that standard line in the end I won't really comment anything, however if you think about it a commentary of the story by the author himself is not an easy job. It is impossible to express 100% of what a person is thinking, and it is impossible to understand 100% of what has been expressed. In reality the success is 60% for each, meaning that of what the author was thinking what the reader gets of what was put in the book is, as a realistic number, 36%. The other 64% is a misunderstanding, therefore a lot of times if you read a commentary from the author as a reader you can't agree to more than half of the things. Eh, did you write it with that intention? And the like. The so called communication troubles, however it is an unshakeable fact these misunderstandings add some spice. For example, the times I recommend to others a book I love, I try to convey a scene that moved me the most impressive way I can, but when I reread the book that scene doesn't exist anywhere. After all humans are half-baked creatures, so their feelings more than half of the times come from misunderstandings, however the author doesn't explain it in a negative way, or maybe one should just take it that a story has the power to make the reader misunderstand. Every good reader has tasted the experience of rereading a book that in the past was shocking and find that unexpectedly it was nothing oustanding, and everybody has had the experience of recommending a book that moved you when you was a teen while saying "this is really interesting" to the current teens, and receiving an answer that was not sweet, but this is what the misunderstanding of the reader is, to say it well it is the result of an impression, more than being dejected maybe one should feel thankful for having had the chance to see a dream. I also have to add that sometimes I discover that the scene I couldn't find was in another book, but this is simply a problem of my memory, not the responsibility of the author or the story.
This book has three stories that -- don't focus on supernatural monsters. Anyway, I wanted to write an enjoyable novel full of silly dialogues, and so I wrote these three stories. When they were collected in a book, I asked Vofan to realize the illustrations. If I have to explain just one thing, originally the story was born from this chain of thoughts: "Tsundere and gelaende (sky slope, from German) sound similar" -> "Now that I mentioned it, isn't a gelaende a bogen (bow in skiing, from German)?" -> "If one writes bogen in kanji it would be 'abusive language'". And like this "Hitagi Crab" "Mayoi Snail" "Suruga Monkey" became "Bakemonogatari 1". In the second volume there will be even sillier dialogues, so please look forward to it.
A 100% of gratitude to all the people besides me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake2
I can't really guess how much the problem of where to draw a line between hobby and work has made people rack their brains until now, but I think this problem is made more difficult if one starts from the premise that in life the absolute values of hobby and work are equivalent. Hobby. And work. Certainly in life both are big problems. However, if one thinks carefully, treating hobby and work as two alternatives feels unnatural. Or rather, how can I say it, in this problem the ethical viewpoint that hobby and work must not coincide must exist before the premise. I say it's not good to turn a hobby into work, however one cannot live without working. And without hobbies life would be empty. If so, turning a hobby into work or work into hobby should be recommended from the point of view of efficiency. And yet I say that "it's not good to turn a hobby into work", the reason is because of the contradiction in that work is "something one does to live", so enjoying it would be sacrilegious, and hobby is "something one does to live better" so it must be enjoyed. However it's not like if one turned hobby into work the hobby stops being hobby, and it's not like by doing it as a hobby it's not work anymore. Hobby is not work, and work is not hobby. It's hobby, and it's also work. A life that allows to declare that may be the coolest.
Speaking without fearing misunderstandings, this "Bakemonogatari" is a novel I wrote 100% for hobby. There is not a particle of work in it. It is a novel I originally wrote as a diversion to fill a large hole in the schedule, so frankly I have my doubts on whether it could be published. Since I wrote it as a hobby I am utterly ashamed that it will become evident the author's personal character ranking, however no matter the character I really enjoyed writing the dialogues, I nostalgically remembered the first time I wrote a novel. Continuing from the first volume, Vofan added beauty with his illustrations. There are some traces left that it was hobby, anyway this is the curtain on these two volumes, five stories in all, they are all yours. The compilation "Bakemonogatari 1" with "Hitagi Crab" "Mayoi Snail" "Suruga Monkey" is followed by two stories, "Nadeko Snake" and "Tsubasa Cat", that comprises this "Bakemonogatari 2".
Truly thankful for keeping me company with my hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizu
According to blood types fortune-telling, 0s tend to be a leader while As are neurotic, Bs are freewheeling and ABs do things at their own pace, or something like that. However, in leaders there must be a certain amount of neuroticism, and freewheeling and doing things at one's own pace are just different expressions. If one were to read freewheeling as doing things without seeking agreement, there is not even a paper-thin difference with being a neurotic with strong fixations, and if one thinks a leader desires an unshakable strong will that would be doing things at one's own pace. If one were to spend time thinking about it, it's a fact that one could retort they are all the same thing. Well, one could say that of all fortune-telling, not just blood types fortune-telling, the zodiac signs are a prime example, however in blood types fortune-telling there are just four categories, and conversely that simpleness seems to have great persuasive power. I think everyone has had the experience of saying one's own blood type and thinking "Oh, that's really it", but that's the impressive trick, no matter what blood type one said, it is not hard to imagine that the reaction "Oh, that's really it" would come. Besides, I think the simplest way to guess another person's blood type, well at least in Japan, letting aside the personality of the other person, is to conclude "You are A". The reason is that in Japan most people have blood type A. In the future we might have even DNA fortune-telling, gene fortune-telling, but frankly speaking I don't think there would be a great difference with present-day blood types fortune-telling.
This book "Kizumonogatari", "Koyomi Vamp", is the story of Araragi Koyomi, the storyteller of the previous work "Bakemonogatari". Even though I said previous work, there wouldn't be any problem in starting reading from this story. Actually, since chronologically this becomes the earliest placed story, it should be recognized one could read "Kizumonogatari" first. This is the story of Araragi Koyomi and a vampire, Kissshot Acerolaorion Heartunderblade. It is also the story of the meeting between Araragi Koyomi and Hanekawa Tsubasa. If "Bakemonogatari" was a novel written 100% for hobby, then "Kizumonogatari" is a novel written 120% for hobby. Originally it was a bunch of stories the author, me, should have been satisfied the moment he finished writing them, and should have sealed them without letting them catching the eye of people, but in the light of the fact that because of some mistake it was decided they would become a book like this, splendidly adorned using the drawing power of the illustrator Vofan and officially published, more than saying thanks to everyone I feel like I have to do some serious reconsiderations as a professional, anyway sometimes things like this happen, so I'm lucky to receive your magnaminity.
Obviously, if the readers can enjoy this two-part story, where I wrote so much there is nothing left to write, it's a further blessing. Using this blessing as provisions, starting from tomorrow I'll try to work for real.

Last edited by Shikijin; 2012-03-20 at 13:42.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote