View Single Post
Old 2012-04-22, 00:38   Link #281
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Well, Roman Catholics are Christian, too... But for someone like Kaoru who doesn't know Christianity well (like most Japanese) except for the usual "church-cross-Jesus" thing, I suppose all Christian denominations seem the same.
For what it's worth, several Protestant denominations teach that the Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, and Eastern Orthodox traditions are not Christian. The assertion is that those faiths have become heretical/Satanic/corrupted for various reasons (i.e. the use of icons and the veneration of the Virgin Mary/Theotokos, the introduction of non-Biblical concepts into doctrine, the lack of predestined salvation in their beliefs, etc.), thus they may no longer lay claim to the designation.

I'm not sure if this is causing some of the confusion in this thread, but I've come across it in various discussions about religion. Catholicism is generally considered the largest branch of Christianity (and Catholics will identify themselves as Christians), but some draw a distinction between the two.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote