View Single Post
Old 2012-04-22, 20:06   Link #34
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Maya The Bee was my very first anime at seven years old but I was unaware of it and the world it came from.
That could have been my first, too. Either that, or Heidi, Girl of the Alps. (I'm Austrian. Heidi's based on a Swiss children's book. Switzerland is geographically and culuturally a lot closer to me than Japan. When I saw a Swiss movie adaption of the book I was sorely disappointed. This is not Heidi. Heidi has huge eyes, and black smooth stand-up hair!!! )

I just called them "Japanese cartoons" back then. Other shows I watched around that time were Kimba, the White Lion, Pinnocchio, Sindbad and 3000 miles in search of mother (or what the English title is; it was simply called "Marco" in German). Later, there was Captain Future.

The first time I saw an anime with a Japanese highschool setting was in the nineties: Atakku no.1, a late-60ies show about a girl volleyball team. After that came the Sailor Moon era, and they also started showing late-night anime (and music-TV stations would later show anime).

My first subbed anime was Silent Möbius (late night TV). Watching dubbed anime was a revelation; German dubs tend to make the characters sound a lot more naive...
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote