View Single Post
Old 2012-04-25, 01:17   Link #875
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
What? That's not true. You don't do that in CHina, at least I don't recognise that norm. What I do know, however, is that in China, treason is punishable in days of the emperors, by exterminating all those who are related to the offender by nine degrees. Yongle Emperor, exceptionally,exterminated Emperor Jianwen's teacher's relations by ten degrees, including his students and friends because he refused to recognise him as legitimate emperor for usurping his nephew's throne.
It was practiced in early china history I think, in the qin shi huang rein IIRC. Whsie get it right, the purpose was to make sure the chain of revenge doesn't continue because at that time, not getting revenge for your father's death is considered unfilial act and highly looked down upon, so if you don't kill the other people whole family, his son is expected to get his revenge on you, hence starting a chain of revenge. I'm not sure whether the revenge is punishable by law or not though if it's done before getting a court order. No matter what, it can be said to be a very cruel norm/law by today standard since you're basically killing innocent people just because they're a family of a convict.

But, let's stop the off-topic discussion here. What I meant with my example was, a spirit, especially their king, moral value and law might not necessarily mirror human's and not necessarily evil(well, they are if viewed from human perspective I guess lol). After all, they are a different kind of existence from human, just like how human is a different existence than animal, which also have their own set of law(usually within their pack).
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote