View Single Post
Old 2012-05-05, 23:22   Link #2064
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Saw this a while back. Found it a pretty interesting read.
Thanks for posting; that is a rather interesting read. I think the fact that the show elicits this sort of analysis from critics, newspapers, and sociologists points to the significance of the work. Particularly, I think it's interesting that they point to time and place as being hugely significant in the show's popularity; that the anime is as much a "sign of the times" as anything else, and that other similar shows today may not achieve the same response simply due to cultural shifts. The show is ultimately a sort of escapism; a refuge from the crazy connected world, as they allude to. I think that's why the show was a tough sell to some people who are trying to get engaged in the plot of an anime, rather than just letting themselves get lost in the setting and character interactions. I also think it's interesting that the translator points to the female staff as being a key factor; that may be significant both to help add some authenticity to the character interactions at the core of the show, but perhaps also on that more subtle, intangible emotional level.

In any case, good read.