View Single Post
Old 2012-05-27, 13:06   Link #4519
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
But it won't do any good if the party you actually voted for will never have any chance of winning. As much as the major parties like to import viewpoints from third parties, they'll often not follow through with them when they've won the election, giving voters even less incentive to vote for them next time.

If I vote, I want the party I vote for to win, not act as some sort of reserve for any of the major parties to lay claim to if they get the majority of the votes.
You just have to step away from idea, that your votes can actually force the parties to do something. They can't.
See it more like a survey, than an instrument to delegate power.

What happens if you vote for one of the major parties?
That's like telling them 'I'm ok with how you did things, carry on'. In no way can you influence the party's politics by that.
Sure you could vote for the other big party, but in a two party system, that is not an option for most people.

Also this only works, if you want your party to be more like the other party. Which does not make much sense, because then you could just vote that one.
But what if you want the dems to be more 'democratic', or the reps to be more 'republican'? How do you convey that? You can't.
Unless you pick a third party that is on the far side of the spectrum.

Same goes for special interests.

Example from Europe:
Want to stop all the ACTA/media lobbying bullshit? Vote pirates.
Yes, different voting systems, but..
They will never be in any government either. Objectively, votes for them are wasted. But it sends a clear message.
A message, that seems to have been picked up on. Suddenly every major party has a standpoint on the issue, when before none had one.

Sure, this is a bit idealistic and politicians will weigh their lobby money against additional votes. But a least I am sure it does have some effect.
So before you give up on voting, better do this.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote