View Single Post
Old 2012-05-27, 14:42   Link #269
Eternal September

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
They are not. Just look at Japanese box office sales, how many otaku titles do you see? Foreign titles are pretty popular, especially the occasional high-budget blockbusters. Then there are popular manga adaptations and kids anime movies. There's a reason why otaku anime are stuck in late-night TV slots, and there's a reason why there aren't that many anime movies with huge promotion campaigns in Japan.

Well, of course. And that reason is that otaku anime is a small and unpopular niche.

That's what I just wrote about.

I also brought examples of how even if adult animation is unpopular, things like a focus on children, teenagers, innocence, and "moe", are still common in a far wider Japanese pop-culture, so if there would be an established tradition of mainstream adult-oriented anime, it would probably still have these.

But your reply has nothing to do with the actual statement of my post. Many manga adaptations and children's anime feature young characters, so that would only strenghten my point, except that they are made for children, they don't even reflect the kind of adult taste that we are talking about here. And foreign blockbusters are popular everywhere because they are expensive and better-looking than local movies. Besides, they are in an entirely different medium.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the entire discussion, and you are trying to prove me the obvious, that the current otaku niche is a niche, or you are just committing the type of fallacy that I described in my previous post, that just like "looking at book sales and seeing that superhero comic books are unpopular, proves us that superheroes are an unpopular niche.", looking at box office results of anime somehow proves us that Japanese people want less teenagers in their anime.
Eternal September is offline   Reply With Quote