View Single Post
Old 2005-12-28, 18:39   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ah. Just realized that I forgot to answer one of your questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00blike
what is the differance between this to anyother eps?

The difference between this and other eps is filesize and quality. h264 is a more advanced codec than XviD or DivX. That means that the encoder is able to make a smaller video with a level of quality that is the same or higher. For instance, DB's recent encode of Bleach 62 is only 75 MB large. You might expect this to look like something your dog does on the curb. Actually it looks nearly as good as their regular encodes. I think that they pushed the filesize a bit too low though, it would have been more reasonable for them to release a filesize of 120-130MB. By comparison, XviD doesn't look good in less than 170 MB.

One marvelous example of h264 encoding is Arenai's Pretty Cure. They have been releasing both XviD and h64 versions of episodes 42-49 from DVD raws. Their XviD version in 220 MB while their h264 version is only 140 MB. Both releases have the same level of quality!

That's why fansubbers have been switching over to use h264. I'd suggest that you start getting used to it because by this time next year the vast majority of fansubs will be released in h264. Right now, many shows are released ONLY in h264. By next year you'll only be able to watch very few shows unless you fix your codecs to allow playback for this new standard.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.