View Single Post
Old 2012-07-28, 08:55   Link #868
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@Reckoner - I'm curious as to what exactly you felt made the English people in this movie "weirdos"? I certainly didn't feel like the K-On movie went out of its way to cast the Brits in a bad light. I mean, some anime go full-blown national stereotypes in how they portray the "Gaijin" of various nations, and I didn't see any stereotype like that here. I mean, it's not like they gave the Brits terrible teeth or anything. like that. And I honestly was shocked that they didn't have a scene about tea where the K-On girls' love of tea gets complimented by Brits since, you know, Brits love their tea. So yeah, I felt this movie was much more respectful than most anime productions in how they portrayed people from non-Japanese nations.

Now, I did find it a bit strange that you had a lot of scenes where HTT are speaking 90% (or more) Japanese to the Brits, and the Brits are speaking 100% English back. It's kind of like watching people speak pass one another. It was kind of weird to see this continually go on, and both sides just sort of intuit what the other side meant.

I kind of expected the girls to be clinging tightly to an English/Japanese dictionary, and using it to form short, concise (and a bit clunky, but understandable) English sentences. What we got instead was a bit strange, although in fairness I haven't personally dealt with language barriers like this much in life.

Is this what you mean by the Brits seeming weird? Because otherwise, I think the movie just presented them as generally mellow, friendly, welcoming people. If anything, I thought it was a pretty positive assessment of the Brits.

Anyway, some of your other criticisms I agree with, but those same issues didn't bother me quite as much. Ultimately, how much a person likes the K-On Movie will depend a lot on how much that person likes its characters. This is a very character-focused work - Plot and Setting are occasionally important, but they're not consistently important like Characters are.