View Single Post
Old 2012-08-15, 03:53   Link #221
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Surely you jest. The entire story has been tracking Kirito's character development over the course of his progress in the game. We've seen him progress from a self-exiled loner to his first lasting friend, having gone through many trials along the way. We also track the story of Asuna, who started the story with not a clue of how MMORPGs worked, working her way up to a key leadership position in the frontlines, and then how Kirito started to win over her duty-driven heart.

They may not have totally revolutionized themselves over these six episodes, but I think they and their perspectives have changed a fair bit since day one. They have been developing the key characters while introducing us to various system and game mechanics that form the basis of this game.

They have introduced dozens of systems and mechanics over these episodes that are all rather foundational to understanding the way the SAO game works. I should think that they will all continue to play a role in some capacity going forward, not to mention the friendship that was forged in this recent arc.

This is almost like some sort of nihilism: "it's all meaningless!" I have a bit more faith in the writers than you do, I guess.
Sadly, I do not jest. Show me the episode with Kirito as the exiled loner (hint, it isn't shown). We get a couple of lines of "he's a beater", then the next episode he's in a guild.
Trials? Struggle against the boss monster who holds an item that potentially ressurects people? Zero trouble against a bunch of PKers?

We didn't see Asuna work her way up. 1 ep she's a noob, next she's a leader. Great development.

The biggest issue this show has, is that it tells rather than shows.
I don't think it's all meaningless, but where's the journey (ie. the development)?
I'm all for world building (ie. learning how the world works, side stories etc), but good stories flesh out the main plot before putting in "filler".

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
Can't blame you for thinking like that since the timeline of events isn't mentioned on the anime. But since this anime is based on the LN version, the anime can't show anything which isn't shown on the LN as the main source itself. Also yah, SS is Side Story xD
Well, the start of each episode shows the date, so we do know time has progress, but it's all just timeskip-timeskip-timeskip. Unless this show starts doing flashbacks, this show has missed out on a lot of proper development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That's the plot premise, but I think the main story is whatever the anime shows us, and we can't really determine that until we see it play out. So far, at least, the anime hasn't suggested that the frontlines themselves are really the most important thing, but rather the impact on the characters of living in this "death game" world.
I was hoping the main story would follow the plot premise (and here's hoping at some point it will), and not be pointless like
Spoiler for Title of another show:

Also, this wait and see approach isn't really working for me at the moment. Most shows that try this approach tend to end up making absurd/convoluted ways to connect everything making you realise the author had obviously not thought things out.

Last edited by Quadratic; 2012-08-15 at 04:14.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote