Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 21:08   Link #1538
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Please. By calling it an "accident" you're already undervaluing the role of emotion in forming the identity. It's even worse if people don't take responsibility for their own emotions. It seems to me that there's something of a double standard at work here. But I guess it's a natural reaction given that emotions are usually suppressed or controlled by reason, which means that they aren't that visible most of the time.
You still don’t get it. Our reasoning is a form of our “responsibility” towards our emotion.

For example:
you saw a man attacking a girl. Your emotion at that time might be a rage like this: “Wth is that a**hole doing! I’ll help that girl!” If you act based on that emotion, you’ll go straight up and attack the guy and maybe adding some really mean insult to him (like Taichi did with his outburst). But instead of that, you let your reason do quick work by analyzing the context of the scene: the girl is being attacked while being closely watched by many other women and they’re looking calm. Then, you approach them and ask “what is happening?” then one of the women says “Oh, it’s a self-defense training.” By filtering your emotion with reason, that’s how human mind works. Sure, there are some cases where people act directly on their emotion (like when people snapped), but Taichi’s outburst is not like that.

By “accident” I meant HS’s gimmick interference. Not the emotional outburst itself.

Quote:
The id, while impulsive and unreliable, is still representative of the person to an extent. In fact, it says a lot about a person just looking at it head on without the obstructive ego to restrain it.
Relentless’ post pretty much said what I’m thinking mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think that an outburst of emotion doesn't even represent all of our emotions, let alone our thoughts.

Like, I've gotten into some really heated arguments with my parents (particularly when I was a teenager), and some words were said. But even though I really did mean what I said at the time in most cases (sometimes exaggerated a bit for effect...) it wasn't all I felt. My decision to normally not say those things is not just because of rational thought, but also because of other feelings. Feelings like love, compassion, empathy, and on and on. When you lose control of your emotions, it's not just that you stop thinking, it's that you let certain emotions (the more passionate ones) override other ones. And that's why you "feel badly" afterwards. Not just because your brain says "I shouldn't have done that; that person will be offended", but because your other emotions take over.

Taichi said something really hurtful to Himeko, and he may very well have meant it, but I don't think what he said is the only thing he thinks or feels about her. Coming to terms with these many conflicting emotions is what our brain helps us to do, and what is difficult for them to do under these circumstances.

Quote:
I'm not calling it a crime or a fault to express hidden emotions, but I don't like it when people set aside "emotional outbursts" as distinct from the idea of the self. I look at such measures as just another form of rationalization. An emotional outburst is simply another expression of the self just like some impartial decision you have to make one time or another.
I didn’t set emotional outburst aside. Basically, we already have a set of emotion for people. There’s love, hate, etc. Which one that we bring to the forefront might not be up to us. You might hate your friend today for a specific thing he/she’s done (to you). But tomorrow, you might like that person for another thing he/she’s done. What I’m trying to say is that emotion is very much situational and happen almost instantly as a reaction and mostly last for a short period of time. You can’t rely on that to get a person’s opinion or personality. Yes, it’s a part of him/her, but I think it’s a minor & basic part compared to the complex entirety of thinking process or personality (yes, it includes reasoning too). So, anything person A said to person B while in id mode at one moment does not necessarily represent all of A’s feelings toward B, and that "overall feelings" is what I consider "true feelings" (our opinions might differ about this).