View Single Post
Old 2012-08-24, 20:24   Link #190
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
so why is there a 10 page thread on someone who is basically just a script writer?
Isn't it basically because people want to feel like they're seeing behind the curtain, and want to have someone to blame for their feelings when they don't like something? (And, sometimes, to credit when they like it?)

I mean, consider the Lupin rant at the top of this page. It's not like the director, production committee, and all the rest of the sponsors involved just told the hired-gun scriptwriter "here's a franchise, go nuts, do whatever you want, and we'll animate whatever you write no questions asked". I have never worked in any business context that did this, nor ever been assigned that kind of contract no matter what creative endeavour it's for. Anime's no different in that regard; there are layers of bureaucracy, concept approval, script approvals, reviews and revisions, changes that happen between script and storyboarding, and on and on. So to turn around and lay all the blame entirely on the writer is presumptuous at best. It takes a lot more than one single person to "ruin" an entire show.

But anyway, we have this thread because we like to presume and overanalyse, and that's not necessarily a slam. It's fun to imagine what could possibly being going on behind the curtains; to try to figure out the secret sauce that gives anime its flavour. It's fun to speculate, and to try to put names/faces to what is otherwise an abstract creative process. But in the end, I don't think there's actually any anime production in existence where either all the credit or all the blame can be attributed to any one single player. Anime is far too complicated and takes far too many people to make it work. Mari Okada is just one part of the equation.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-24 at 20:35.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote