View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 06:23   Link #1299
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
The weakness to that scene was that it should have been made obvious to viewer by Yuuki himself in some kind of way (like more inner thoughts or something else), not by Mouri (essentially a 3rd party in this case who wasn't even directly involved in this) who could read Yuuki like an open book.

Actually i am not even sure what to think of that scene. It makes Mouri much more imposing seeing how good his intelligence network is, but on the other hand it's as the writer thought: "let's add this scene to make the whole drama about Chisato and Yuuki more believable by explaining Yuuki's inner thoughts and feelings."
Yup, exactly. And actually, the president's very comment was foreshadowed way back in episode 2 (in that scene I mentioned a few weeks ago), where Yuuki talked about "finding his own love".

I guess, though it's a bit tacky, I can quote myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
My interpretation (at least right now) is that the entire anime is Yuuki living his proverbial dream where he's constantly meeting "wonderful people" (potential love interests), because even though love is right next to him, he feels he can't reach it (the barrier between him and Chisato). So, he decided that he needs to look for a "better love". The big question is: did he find it in Satsuki or not? And if so, is he going to choose "that dream", or is he going to instead try to reach for that "tough reality" after all? [...] Everything basically hinges on whether he falls more in love with one of the other girls he meets than the love he's always had for Chisato, and so is willing to give that first love up.
This episode answered this very clearly, and why (in short: he could never give up his first love, so couldn't commit to either Hazuki or Satsuki), but you're right: rather than coming from Yuuki (through inner thoughts or realizations), it comes from the all-seeing President. And that takes a bit of the impact out of it, because the only inner thought left for Yuuki is that he's known what love is but just couldn't admit it.

Again, from a big picture overall-narrative perspective, the romantic development in this show makes perfect sense and is quite symmetrical. But the road has been, let's say, a bit bumpy.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You probably should be aware by now that the writer loves dramatic cliffhangers at the end of every episode.
Well, yeah, as I said before, they probably chose this writer because of his specific experience writing drama. And this story has certainly had drama...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-21 at 06:38.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote