View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 23:31   Link #18
Simonsy

Well from my experience building, the thing you need to think about the most in "future proofing" is your motherboard.

Make sure you get a motherboard that has the connections that will stay relevent in the future. Thus if you ever feel the need to upgrade anything its simple. You just swap out the old with the new.

If you need to buy a new motherboard that means you will need to re-install your operating system. Cause they are connected to the motherboard.

Don't worry about future proofing anything else really besides obviously your case and power supply.

Make sure you have a powerful enough power supply to handle a lot. I think like 700+ should do it. Then obviously make sure the case fits your motherboard. I use a case that fits the largest motherboard so no matter what I can use it in future. Plus it came with lots of fans.

Then you have your case, motherboard and powersupply. Those 3 are the essentials in futureproofing your system. And when i say futureproof i mean for 20+ years, not 4 years. Next time you upgrade you won't have to worry about those 3 things, thus saving you money. You can easily swap in and out hard-drives, graphics cards, ram and processors. What i typically do is buy the 1-year old stuff. Its plenty powerful yet at a discount price. Sure you may want to upgrade say graphics card in 3 years instead of 4, but your only paying $100 instead of $300. So just buy what your willing to spend on in terms of ram/processor/gfx

That's my take at least.

now as to the extra's like extra hard-drives, fancy sound cards, awesome speakers, monitors, and so on. Dont' worry about them right now. Just buy one of them ever month or two and slowly acquire them. No need to spend an extra few hundred dollars at once. Those extra costs they will add will make you see the bill and possibly cheap out on the essentials and you may regret that.

So focus on the essentials first and order the extra's, the wants lets say for later.

So in summary, Future proof your motherboard, case and powersupply.

Then buy your essentials, processor, gfx, and ram. Obviously a keyboard/mouse and display of some sort if you don't have any.

Then in future date slowly purchase neat things like speakers, gaming mouse/keyboard, sound cards, big monitor, ect. Again ignore these till after you have built your computer already. No need to up the initial cost so much, and thus possibly skimp on the essentials in order to afford some fancy monitor.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote