View Single Post
Old 2012-10-06, 03:08   Link #648
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Finished the first three chapter 1 and I am liking the game thus far. I can understand of course the frustrations about the series shift in the last 5 years but hey as someone who started with the first game it's both good and bad.

For me the biggext problem is that the game sets absurdly high expectations and while succeeds in most, falls short on others. I am loving the different settings and gameplay styles per character, the more action oriented combat and in some cases the classic cheap scares. The more story oriented approach is also a good thing for me as it really delves deeper in a series that has always had a lot of potential than a simple video game tribute to b horror movies.

On the other hand it lacks a lot of consistency. The fantastic set pieces are tempered down by some dull sections. Combat can get frustrations by some control issues. Taking everything in consideration it feels like 2 steps forward and one step back rather than the hyped radical change in survival horror. The series has changed a lot in recent years so ymmv, but for me in the end it still so for manages to retain the old school elements that it revolutionized but still managed to evolve.

Not the amazing game I wanted it to be but a great game nonetheless.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote