View Single Post
Old 2006-01-09, 08:38   Link #372
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I guess then it has to be brought to question, that if love can break down traditional gender barriers, why should traditional age barriers stop it?

Isn't "age difference" just another tradition?

Are we going into moral issues now?

15 year old children, male or female, get married and have kids all the time back in the day...

And isn't the social stigma against age difference a recent one?
Moral issues are always the case when dealing with possible statutory rape (in this country, that's what it's called when a older person has a romantic or sexual relationship with a minor). Granted, there are really good reasons for this law and for outlawing consanguinity (intermarriage within a family do a certain degree of relation, sometimes determined by societal rules other times determined by religious rules such as Catholic canon law). Marriage between an older man and a younger woman (or teen/pre-teen) often had nothing to do with romance (love, what have you) but had everything to do with familial and aristocratic politics. QUITE a different thing as in here. 15 yr old children got married and had kids "back in the day" because they often had no say in the matter. Omiai or arranged marriages happened (and still do in many cultures) thus giving the children no choice but to obey their parents, face expulsion from the family or even death. Not very good options.

You make it sound more like they had a choice than they really did. It happened due to extenuating circumstances and not often for love as you would have us think.

Having a crush is one thing....have a full fledged romantic/sexual relationship with a minor? Not so much. There was a teacher here who just recently got out of jail for having a romantic fling with one of her high school students almost 20 yrs her junior. Granted NOW he's of age and she can legally marry him but he was barely 13 or so when it first all happened. One has to wonder what the hell she was thinking.

I can understand you playing Devil's Advocate for whatever reason. But there has to be a line to be drawn. An sexual preference among consenting adults is one thing. Among minors? There must be some rules made because kids often don't have the maturity to know the difference and there are too many predators around to take advantage of them. Kids need protection too and sometimes they don't often know when they need it.

Quote:
Anyone threatening Shizuru's gayness must be exterminated.
LMAO! Well I'm not sure I'd go that far, even with my strong loyalty to kaichou-sama.