Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-19, 15:12   Link #24266
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Chuck Norris isn't running for President, or telling employers to all but outright threaten their employees. The letters they've sent out have been leaked, we know how they went about doing it. All they need is for Obama to be President and them to fire a single person, and lawsuits shall rain upon them.
But Romney didn't imply that people would be fired because their votes differed from their bosses. He implied companies would be forced to downsize or even outright go under if Obama was elected. You're only reading it that way because of much publicized assholes who happen to be Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Employer coercion or implied threats about voting is very definitely against the law in the US.
It's normal, though I hear in some states employers don't need to provide a reason for firing someone. My point was, even with "coercion forbidden", there's a spectrum of things than can be allowed or not, depending on actual legislation and, for all I know, company policy.

You can have a "don't ask don't tell" where nobody's allowed to say anything about their political convictions to "it's okay to put up posters" to "it's okay to wear pins and debate politics in the break room".

So I can see an employer sending a company-wide mail saying "I'm voting for X because I think he'll be better for my business" being legal or not, depending on where you are.