View Single Post
Old 2012-10-29, 03:15   Link #615
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if they know that "ripping up the World War II treaties" will basically end the dispute in Japan's favor as that would mean leave the islands under Japanese control by even older treaties that are not debated.

And doing so in addition to force will almost certainly cause a reaction from the United States and the JSDFs. If the treaty is void, that also means Taiwan's claims are also void. Means there might be irony if the US and Japan request Taiwan's aid in the conflict as the gloves might be off (short of nuclear strikes I imagine), thus opening a hole for Taiwan to become legitimately independent from China

Who knows...maybe the Japanese would offer the islands a carrots to the independent Taiwanese for aid against China.

(I'm dreaming I suppose, relations in Asia don't work like that, and a shooting war involvinh China and the United States directly will likely result in a nuclear exchange at some point unless the two parties are only fighting over the islands...since the US has no real desire to invade the Mainland, just defend Taiwans and Japan in this instance).