View Single Post
Old 2012-11-18, 01:59   Link #192
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
On a somewhat different note, does anyone else get the impression that without the exercise of human discretion, the SIBYL System is inherently rigged to eventually kill whoever gets identified as dangerous?
What if I rephrased your question this way: "Does anyone get the impression that without human discretion, guns are inherently rigged to kill?"

My point is that the Sibyl System does what it is designed to do, and the fact that it is limited by human discretion (to pull the trigger or not) is perhaps part of its design. To quote Ginoza from Ep6:
Quote:
There are a mountain of things that humans can do that animals cannot. One of them is safety control. No matter what it is, humans always place a safety device on it. Enforcers are also equipped with a safety device called Inspectors.
To extrapolate, I think it's not unreasonable to think that the inherent dangers of the Sibyl System had been considered, hence the need to have enforcers or inspectors decide whether or not to fire their Dominators. Unfortunately, as people become more reliant on technology, they develop the bad habit of pushing all decision-making to an algorithm. Hence the present-day problems in the Psycho-Pass universe.

Quote:
The society in PSYCHO-PASS is somewhat conditioned to treat the psychological rating as almost a matter of life and death, and if they get identified as having the wrong CC, they unsurprisingly flip out from the shock of realising what that means.

Attempts to flee or resist arrest are invariably treated as hostile, and quickly raise the CC rating high enough to seemingly justify lethal force, with very little way of actually getting the rating to go down quickly. There's no right to appeal once that happens when you're missing half your body.
So far, lethal force was authorised only in cases where enforcers and inspectors were in danger of being physically harmed. The option seems to be available only in a rare few extreme cases. One would think, for example, that the homicidal factory worker is a target for lethal elimination, but he only got stunned. So, I really don't see any alleged cases of CC ratings going accidentally high enough to trigger lethal retaliation.

But I would concede one point: The public might not know that they are not actually in that much danger of getting killed for having a high CC. The misperception of what public security forces do and are capable of doing probably breeds distrust, which may explain why so many people resist "arrest" more than they should.

Quote:
In the most recent episodes so far, you have to wonder whether it's the really the Enforcers running the entire investigation.
If you take Ginoza at his word, then I think it's fairly clear that inspectors are really no more than glorified safety devices. This may not be as unusual as you'd think. Present-day, real-life Japanese society operates very similarly, in that heads of departments are really no more than glorified rubber-stampers. Most of the grunt work is done by subordinates. Managers are there to take the credit — or to fall on their swords if things go badly wrong.