View Single Post
Old 2012-12-08, 01:15   Link #76
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Your making it too complicated than it already is which is surpising for an investor.

Quote:
1) Back in the 80's and 90's a lot of businesses were sold to U.S. companies of various kinds. When the economy started getting weaker, these companies pulled out or shut down their Canadian operations. There were guarantees made about keeping the jobs in the country, about amounts they would invest in the future -- the promises were broken and it was bad news for the country. Any foreign company taking over a Canadian company is reviewed by the government.
You're an investor you should be aware that when a business deal is made there will always be risks involved. You cannot guarantee that everything will always be dandy forever. In the 80's when the businesses were sold to the US, would you say that those people would've been able to fortell that in a decade or so everything will collapse. The thing is as the government has done is learn from those to minimze the risks

Quote:
3) On top of everything else, China's foreign ownership rules --
http://www.internationalpropertyjour...-property.html
I never said anybody's perfect and such so I fail to see what your trying to pull here. Plus that article is out of date.

20 years ago the Liberal party started work on a trade agreement between China and Canada that would even the playing field on both sides which Harper just finished this year.

At the end of day it's not just economics but politics as well and politics is a bloody game where things happen that you just don't understand. That's the reality of it. As an investor you should be aware of this. In fact a lot of the things you do or think you'll do is based on what the politicians are planning to do.

The minority Conservatives — targets of frequent criticism that they allowed many of Canada's business icons to be bought by foreign interests — were quick to trumpet their MDA decision.

Canada blocked BHP Billiton Ltd.’s $40 billion hostile bid for Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc., saying a sale of the world’s largest fertilizer company wouldn’t provide a “net benefit” to the country.

Those are the reasons I see. First one because everyone criticised them for letting lots of business icons being bought out so as a minority government they wanted to show that they had teeth.

The second they didn't want to lose control of the largest fertilizer company in the world.

This is really basic, it's come down to politics. Don't think your the expert here. I've seen dozens of these things happen at the local level and it's stupid but what can you do? There are times when I can accomplish a transaction or a business deal simply because the approval was done by the right guy who was in the right place at the right time.

So you claim to be an investor so let me ask you this.

In 2012 what has happened and what is Harper doing at the moment?

In 2012 Obama blocked the Keystone pipe and the economy in the US is still on a downward spiral. Environmentalists are clamping down on the Gateway pipeline and Europe is also going on a downward spiral. The harsh reality is if the US goes down then we go down as well.

So what does Harper do? He goes on a tour throughout Asia trying to get as much deals as he can not just with China but India as well. It's obvious that he wants to diversify canada's trade and to become less and less reliant on the US. Isn't it an investor's job to diversify their portfolio so that if one stock goes down the other 12 stocks will absorb the damage?

So 2012 now you got China and Malaysia coming in. Well China is only buying a company that holds only 1% of the oilsands which is hardly a comparison to the Potash takeover and he wants to trade more with China. Same with Malaysia. If he blocked these deals while he's going all about foreign investment then he'd looked like an idiot to them. Plus it's already been stated multiple times that we need foreign capital to further develop these resources. By putting these deals through, he's walking the talk and earning points with Asia by showing that they can do business with him.

Quote:
You might not believe this, but I don't have a vested interest in this and frankly if I actually did, it would be to sell assets to China because I'm an investment banker. Selling assets are my job. I'm just trying to inform you of the body of information out there as the matter seems so simple to you but to assume it is so is a disservice to the intellect of these experts and leaders as people with valid viewpoints.
Given what you stated here I have a very hard time believing you are what you say, especially after what I'm reading on the other thread as well.

If your an investment banker you should be aware that China is Canada's 2nd largest trading partner. For someone that integrated into your economy you have to walk a fine line there.

Last edited by SoldierOfDarkness; 2012-12-08 at 01:32.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote