Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-13, 17:40   Link #494
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Laptops are more powerful than tablets because they have a real keyboard, a real mouse, ports to connect it to various peripherals, and have an OS that is built with multitasking in mind.
Just as a gripe, I think that "power" is the wrong term to use. We're discussing ergonomics. Is a touch interface more or less "powerful" than a keyboard and mouse? That depends on the application. It just so happens that the majority of computing has been designed around the keyboard and mouse, so it would be correct to say that the keyboard and mouse is "more powerful" today. But from a pure ergonomic standpoint, both touch and keyboard-and-mouse have their strengths and weaknesses. It's up to the programmers to design interfaces that can benefit from each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I would argue that they are inherently unavailable on tablets. Once you start adding on "full computer" functionality onto a tablet, it starts going back up to "full computer" status, i.e., Fujitsu T90x type tablets, not iPad type tablets.
Isn't this just arguing over semantics? I have the Logitech keyboard cover for my iPad. It's an option that allows me to switch from the crummy virtual keyboard to a physical keyboard with tactile response. The iPad is still a tablet, even when used with that keyboard (whether docked to it or used at a distance). If iOS were updated to support mouse input in addition to touch input (similar to the Surface), then we'd have a fully flexible system that would still be a tablet, but that could be interfaced with using standard computer peripherals in addition to touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A Windows 8.1 that realized whether it was in tablet mode or desktop mode would be shinier, imo.
I would imagine that's where we're headed, although I don't know about the user servicing. Being able to access components easily doesn't really fit with the whole "thin and light" craze that has overtaken the technology world.