Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 15:25   Link #25173
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I'm sorry - but - the gun control debate is so freaking relevant to the current news

... and the liberal and hard left media that I've encountered today (I read plenty from their side too, so I know what the enemies opponents are up to) is soo trying hard to insert that.

For the deeply committed, here's your chance to dive in along with Bloomberg, Brady et al

(if you have cable, tune in to this channel!)

MSNBC launches the gun control conversation
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...on-152011.html

Quote:
In the wake of recent shootings, from Aurora to Kansas City, many have argued that it is not the time to talk about gun control.

But as the death toll from today's tragic shooting in Netwown, Conn., was rising, MSNBC and others in the media spurned that familiar refrain.

MSNBC’s Alex Wagner said the elementary school shooting will hopefully offer “some political capital” to reform gun laws.

“It is hopefully — we say this every single time we cover one of these things — a line in the sand,” Wagner said. “There has got to be some kind of measurable change, some kind of reaction. One would hope that there will be some political capital to reform the way in which we handle gun and gun violence in this country.”

Throughout the show, Wagner and her panel discussed gun violence and gun control. MSNBC contributor and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart added shortly after Wagner's comments that if Friday’s violence “doesn’t sear the consciousness of political leaders from the president on down, I don’t know what will.”

On "Andrea Mitchell Reports," NBC's David Gregory noted that “the politics have stalled" on the issue.

"Even if the starting point is we have an epidemic of gun violence – what do we do to deal with that? Culturally what do we do with mentally disabled people? How do we address this that just automatically doesn’t go to the place of gun control?" Gregory asked.

"Again, in this situation, we have no idea what the access to weapons here – what any of the factors were and we won’t speculate about that," he said. "But we have another horrifying episode of gun violence and it involves children and unfortunately, that is going to only heighten everyone’s vitriol on both sides, but it’s going to heighten everyone’s awareness about this and the discussion about it in the most horrifying of ways because of whose involved.”

USA Today's Washington bureau chief Susan Page said "today is not the day to talk about the politics," but asked, "is this the tipping point? I don't know the answer to that."

Other media figures were more vocal on Twitter.

"27 SHOT dead by GUN at CT elementary school, 14 r kids, & if I say our lawmakers & gun laws are killing us I'll be told now ain't the time," Philip Gourevitch, the New Yorker staff writer wrote.

"We know 27 people were shot and killed, including 18 kids. If this is not time to discuss gun control, when is??" wrote Bill Press, the progressive radio, tweeted.

"If any other plague was leaving piles of dead bodies all over the country, including children, our country would figure it out," said New York Times media columnist David Carr.