View Single Post
Old 2012-12-22, 08:37   Link #31475
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
It's less that, and more that I can't empathize with his/her supposed pain if I don't understand where it's coming from. All the pieces were supposedly in place by the time where we stop, yet Yasu's attitude in no way portrays him/her the way he/she apparently wants us to see him/her two years later. So either Yasu experienced some profoundly life-altering pain that we get barely any elaboration on (enough to, maybe, sort of, make a guess), or didn't and then we're left wondering what the hell the motive was for writing what he/she wrote.

It doesn't help that the justifications we do have are pretty much the most pathetically petty things, or things which seriously don't matter that much and seem odd to flip out over. Yet the story has gone to such length to try to discount petty motivation, but refuses to provide something more substantial.

It leaves Yasu a flimsy character... not that he/she wasn't to begin with, but at least some effort is being put in to try to sync up the person we're seeing with the person whose writings we're already familiar with. And then that effort sort of trails off right when it was getting good. If Ryukishi wanted the character to be fully relatable, he failed by being too vague right at the point where he was bringing everything toward a single conception of the character as a full person.

Now, maybe that's the point, designed to make us question whether they could really become that kind of person... but it's kind of a weak point and it causes some retroactive damage to the story that he could've repaired had he continued along with his elaboration. Essentially, if the goal was to make me buy this character as a culprit it was a miserable failure because it didn't push far enough to the genesis of whatever murderous instinct arose; and if the goal was to get me to believe this character is scapegoating themselves, I'm not clear on who they're scapegoating for, why, or when they decided to go forward with that.

Pretty much the worst-realized character in the VN when he/she needed to be the best, or at least one of the best. Quite honestly, every other character in ep7 came across better, which is a travesty considered we supposedly have six episodes of indirect development for this person. Like a half-complete jigsaw puzzle, and half the pieces are from the wrong one.
Will seems to think the other episodes provided it but, considering what Yasu did, to justify it we would need a bit more about her drama and her reaction to it than just the bits we had in the previous episodes.

Ep 7 makes things worse because it portray Yasu in such a gentle light it's hard to think she would go and murder everyone.

Not mentioning the wound and the gender identity issues that probably were a big problem for her are so barely brushed one might miss them completely.

Honestly, if Yasu isn't the murderer in Prime, I don't think she's scapegoating for someone. I think that due to a setting of facts she ended up being a scapegoat.

Really, I've a hard time believing she would do something so horrible as to kill so many person but I have equal hard time into believing she would make something so kind as to take the blame for all the mess for someone else.

She doesn't come out evil enough or kind enough for either of the two things.

Spoiler for Spoilers for Ep 8 chap 10 manga version:

Oh and by the way...

Spoiler for Spoilers for Ep 8 chap 9 manga version:

Last edited by jjblue1; 2012-12-22 at 11:26.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote