View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 14:10   Link #88
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Joining the conversation a tad late, but jumping right in anyway...

I'm guessing the definition of happiness is left up to the audience. For me, I would call planet earth better when I don't read about war, famine, terrorism, and so many other form of mutual destruction we humans are engaged in. Sibyl System is designed in such a way that it is systematically exterminating people who feel so strongly about something that they can make up their mind to kill other people. The idea behind the crime coefficient is brilliant for one simple reason: it puts constant pressure on the people to sustain and maintain a restrain thought process. There are exceptions like Makishima, but for most people I don't think Sibyl System is that bad. I'm pretty sure this system has eliminated war, and when mutual destruction is on hiatus, the abandoned energy of humanity can be diverted to things like eliminating hunger, eradicating disease, education, culture, scientific advancement etc. From a practical stand point Sibyl System is anything but bad.
Except that if they care too much, they risk being treated as criminals. I mean, it's great for nine-to-fivers. But, while they (we?) keep the society running, are they the ones who progress it? We know unemployment is all but inexistent. But I wonder about scientific progress?