Old 2013-01-21, 14:34   Link #3619
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You press a button and buy power.
You skip content by performing a meaningless task over and over and over.
What more is there...
That's still not cheating. Cheating involves using outside methods to bypass the rules of gameplay or taking advantage of bugs that lead to the same effect.

My point is that I was saying that the AH works as a trading mechanism and you respond by saying we should remove trade. I can't connect with that at all. There are 5 classes in the game, and thus 80% of good items I find will be inevitably better for someone else.

The AH is a symptom of the problem. It reflects the nature of trade in the game, solely by being the main method.

Quote:
If we were talking currency like in Path of Exile where it has some value then yeah it's trade and it's fine. You are trading something hard to get for something equally hard to get; and all the items you are trading might have made you several good items if you used them and were lucky. But in Diablo it's just some stock exchange nonsense.
That's not how currency works. There's a reason why paper bills were invented alongside coins. Currency needs to be common and readily issued and easy to use, otherwise it's a barter system.

In D2, they used chipped gems as the very bottom building block of trading and anyone could get those.

This is why I brought up Gw2; the AH works fine there even though the primary currency is trivially easy to get.

The point of gold/currency is time. Sure it's easy to get, but not everyone wants to spend time picking up gold. Hell, I'm not even rich, but last I played D3, I was largely ignoring gold piles... so someone else can do it for me by buying my useless crap.

As for the stock exchange circus, that's just how all video game economies work. Some people don't know the true value of items so other people take advantage.

A huge obsession of what made Diablo multiplayer popular is the concept of in game wealth. The ability to quickly use this wealth to create whatever silly setup you desire on demand is a part of it. D3, for all its flaws, has gold to more accurately depict it.

Quote:
Say what you want but I don't like playing a game that makes you look stupid when everything on you is not something you just bouth with gold before it could even drop for you; and the way to get better is to spend hours on end repeating the same 10 meters killing a mob that can't even fight back. It might have done good to people who like buying and selling but it was awful for anyone who wanted a challenging and rewarding experience (not a duck shooting gallery).
That is a fundamental flaw of rewards vs challenge with the game. Though arguably games like Diablo always have efficient farming in less challenging content. There's a reason why D2 players used Pindleskin and Meph as pinatas. But D3 does have it skewed the wrong way. Challenging content isn't rewarding enough and they are trying to fix it by buffing MP rewards. But it isn't enough.

Why do people use the AH to get ahead? Because the game doesn't let them otherwise. Compare D2 where you could get fucking Tal Runes from Act 1 Countess in normal. 2 of them in your act 2 merc and he melts everything in normal and put a Stealth runeword on yourself. It was ridiculous on how you could utterly break the progression curve in D2 if you knew what you were doing. You can't in D3. Lame. :/

In a sense, I don't think people would have complained about Inferno if Hell was actually a decent place to farm. By D2 analogy, end of nightmare had some really good drops, including elite unique items that weren't the best items in the game, but if you were playing single player, they might as well be because they were that good.

Rigid and defined a Diablo game does not make.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-01-21 at 14:46.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote