View Single Post
Old 2013-01-25, 14:46   Link #67
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The robot added a nice little touch of black comedy, and highlighted just how wrong and surreal the whole situation was.

I don't think that scene was all that disturbing. It was just enough to make a point. Any less wouldn't have add the desired effect, any more would have been unnecessary and gratuitous. They hit the right note, and I can only praise them for that. To be honest, I'm surprised to see such strong reactions.
Agreed. I thought that scene was well done indeed, and I wasn't at all distrubed by it. You see worse atrocities in the real world anyway.

As mentioned they've put the "bystander effect" into good use here. What's different here is that the crowd's lack of reaction was a result of their sense of (false?) security which renders them unable to comprehend the situation, as opposed to people's inherent selfish nature in real life thus their unwillingness to take responsibilities.

I think Gpower makes a good point in relation to whether the Sibyl System has robbed people of their humanity by making them numb to their surroundings. And I agree that Sibyl represents an idea of an ideal world where people don't have to worry about their personal safety constantly and the trust they can place in each other. As one argues this comes at a cost of people losing their liberty and humanity I say this is debatable. Does passing by a stranger in distress, thinking to yourself: "this has nothing to do with me" makes you any more humane? Where is the compassion? Viewing others with indifference, doubt and distrust, creating an invisible barrier between each other, is that how one defines humanity?

I agree with Dengar. Ultimately it comes down to personal preferences and public sentiments at the time. In the world of Psycho-Pass crimes got out of hand and people got fed up, so they'd rather be controlled by a system than live in constant fear for own safety. The same public sentiment on Sandy Hook forcing Obama to tighten gun control at the expense of 2nd Amendment rights. Again, the central question is whether the benefits outweigh the costs.