View Single Post
Old 2013-01-31, 14:52   Link #366
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusjecht View Post
Close range magic is by nature indirect, i...guess?
Purple is the "direct damage at any range" color. The Purple King, Purple Thorn, called "Empress Voltage", wields electricity as a weapon.

"Magic" is not distinguishable in the Accelerated World. If you think it's indirect because it doesn't involve muscle power, then I would point out the guns that Red avatars use.

A direct attack is one that is designed primarily to inflict damage. A sword stabs, a gun shoots.

An indirect attack or move is one that inflicts damage only incidentally. Sand Duct's air-attacks push or pull his opponents, but by themselves likely inflict no damage except when the target smashes into a solid object.

Orchid Oracle used indirect "magic" when she completely changed the environment around her. It surely did place Sulphur Pot and Nidhog at a disadvantage, but it inflicted no damage on them. Rather, the effect targeted the landscape first, and anything that happened to the occupants was merely a side-effect.

If Yellow Radio can irradiate the environment around him, it would be indirect in that it doesn't specifically target anyone, and it would only inflict damage gradually rather than all at once.

Quote:
Think Blizzard, Fire, the likes. Elemental affinities are another issue
Each different kind of elemental attack would be like a different weapon. It would be like a Blue avatar having an axe, a sword and a spear.

On that note, having close-range, direct damage attacks is Blue. Even if it's throwing fire or lightning, if you can only do so at close-range, it's a close-range attack that directly deals damage.

Quote:
so later. Her special move is Tornado/Cyclone. Damage is a given unless you're right next to her.
Tornadoes do not damage you. They THROW you, or throw things into you. This is precisely why it is appropriate for a Yellow attack. The effect is primarily working on the environment rather than specifically targeting or damaging an opponent.

(As opposed to Hailstorm Domination, which very much will directly damage any avatar caught in the blast, even before taking collapsing buildings into account.)

Quote:
but it will be leaning more towards a loli avatar, not a genderbent Sand Duct
I suppose the word "feminine" was not enough. I do suppose that just changing Sand Duct's obvious secondary sexual features would result in a large, heavyset female form.

But I did mean "smaller and slender".