View Single Post
Old 2006-01-22, 19:31   Link #95
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkboxers

I've just began watching this series not too long ago, and the plot intrigues me.

We always see an old man, a beautiful woman and a young man accompaning the Hell Girl on her "missions". From the way they address her, I assume that they serve her. But their identities are a mystery and up till the series I've watched, their names and backgrounds haven't been revealed.

For some reason, Hell Girl gives me the impression that she does not like to receive a "mission" but she has to do it. Do anyone feel this way or is it just me?

Anyhow, this series is a good watch and I would strongly reccommend it to people who are interested in karmic retributions. Seeing that the only 9 episodes have been subbed, it isn't surprising that the story behing Jigoku Shoujo has not been revealed. However, I hope that the background of Jigoku Shoujo, for instance, the purpose of Hell Girl and the identity of the three companions, will be revealed before the end of the series
The "Hell Girl" is Enma Ai. Enma is the King of hell who judges souls in the afterlife and sends them to appropriate areas of hell. We don't know if Ai is the Queen of the underworld or if she serves someone else. Her three helpers have names, but you have to look at the official website. The sexy woman is "Hone Onna" (Bone Woman), the young man is "Ichimoku Ren" (One-eye Ren), and the old man is "Wanyuudo" (maybe "Wheel Priest"). Hone Onna does a lot of spying and is the red straw doll, Ichimoku Ren has eyes everywhere and is the blue straw doll, and Wanyuudo also serves as Ai's flying chariot and is the black straw doll.

I'd agree that sometimes Ai doesn't like doing her job especially when the cases seem trivial or unjust. However, when it seems like the people going to hell really deserve it, her voice sounds like she enjoys sending them. In the episodes to follow, you'll begin to see more development into Ai's feelings, especially episode 13. Although she seems to be emotionless, listen to her conversations with her "grandma" and her facial expressions or body language when people make decisions. I believe that she's also trying to get help indirectly from Hajime by sending visions to Tsugumi.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote