View Single Post
Old 2013-02-10, 08:41   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Here's the thing...

If a show has the best female lead, the best male lead, and/or the best antagonist, then that may well give it an edge on the competition in genre-based categories

Likewise, if a show has the best Soundtrack, the best Storyline & Plot, and/or the best Visuals & Animation, that may also give it an edge on the competition in genre-based categories.

All of these awards say something about the quality of a show; they all contribute positively to its quality. If a show is in the Action-Adventure category, and it has the best Storyline & Plot, the Best Male Lead, the Best Antagonist, and the Best Soundtrack, then those are four big edges it has on other Action-Adventure shows. Is it any wonder that it ends up winning in Action-Adventure?

So while I do think you sometimes get a bit of a hype/halo effect going, I also think that having strengths in one category can give you a natural edge in other categories too.

And honestly, of all of Fate/Zero's 2012 awards, the only one I find particularly questionable is "Soundtrack". But then, this is where overall reputation came into play, for good or for ill. I honestly think that if Guilty Crown's OST belonged to almost any other 2012 anime, that OST would have won. But because it belonged to the heavily bashed Guilty Crown, a lot of people just didn't want to reward it...