View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 04:13   Link #7
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Then don't start your side story with a double length pilot episode explaining on how this is a story about a losing struggle against an alien race where so many adult soldiers have already been slaughtered and the situation is so urgent that children have to be rushed to the frontlines (and they're not doing much better themselves.)

It's that simple.

Yeah, you can say "Well the series isn't that bad if you just look past the single most giant idiotic misleading fault in the writing," but at the end of the day it IS still a giant idiotic misleading fault in the writing and it deserves all the criticism it has coming.
I will note that this same criticism ought to be leveled at Macross Plus as well; the show establishes that this is a dangerous verse and that the VF-11 cannot hack it anymore as a frontline fighter.

Cue dates, brawls, driving a bike along the coastal road (well, the same idea, if it's not exactly a coastal road per se), singing, crazy vocaloid, some sort of strange scheme that never quite got explained... resolution of an old feud and a love triangle.

Double standards, much?

Or, hell, Inside Delta Force. The beginning of Beckwith's memoir establishes that this is a dangerous world and that terrorism is on the rise and the US govt and the US Army need to get their ass in gear.

Cue several hundred pages of selection, training, preparation, training, psych evals and more training. *shrug* But you're right, they're not out there kicking ass, so it's a misleading fault.

From what I understand, TE proper started without Yui's backstory, which was added into the light novels. Whether Kouki's call worked in the end is up to us all to decide; I certainly don't feel as strongly about it as you do. That doesn't mean that you can throw your opinion around as if it were Gospel.

I believe in miracles.